03 April 2012

Life long learning ... MOOCs

I've been reading of MOOC in various places I visit on the Internet and today I've found out what MOOC is:
Massive Open Online Course
I can't remember where I first saw it but today I found it here. It started with me looking at e-portfolios and clicking on a link to:

Participate in the Preparing to be a self-directed learner experience

Well, this has opened up possibilities, especially since I've been looking at how social media can be used for workplace learning. I love that Stephen Downes explains how to start through the use of such tools as blogs, twitter, de.licio.us, facebook. Some of these I'm already using for thinking about what I've been learning (blog) and sharing this plus links on twitter and facebook.

Now de.licio.us helps you find cool stuff and collect it for easy sharing. Dig into stacks created by the community, and then build your own!

I love that this also ties in with life-long learning and self-directed learning. I am a self-directed learner. I enjoy how I can be wrapped up in one area of learning and then discover another area worth pursuing.

Links I found from MightyBell


Ken Masters: A brief guide


Stephen Downes on MOOCs ... treat learning as the formation of connections 


Self-Directed LearningThis site supports teaching self-directed learning (SDL) and becoming a self-directed person.


Now I'm off to build my cool stuff on delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think ...