20 January 2012

Stubborn or Independent?

If find myself, now that I'm settled in Brisbane, back in the looking for work mode. If you've been reading my recent posts you know that I've been studying Social Learning in the workplace and how social media is used to do this. From this I've learned that my social media networks or connections are people I could contact who could help with my search, however, I feel quite hesitant to do this. Cold calling or emailing, even if I'm connected on sites like LinkedIn, is not something I'm very fond of.

I'm feeling a little disappointed that I haven't been offered an interview although I've only been seriously searching for about a month! And because I've had a few 'thanks but no thanks' emails I'm feeling less confident in what I have to offer a prospective employer. I'm also wondering if my age is an issue (not that I put my birth date on my CV, by the way) but that doesn't stop me from wondering. Yes, I'm in the latter years of my working life which means I have a depth and breadth of highly valuable skills and experience.

Because of this I'm trying to work out how to attract the attention of the recruiter. In my last job I did a lot of recruiting and I know how boring it can be to read through the enormous amount of applications that come through, especially when you're trying to find in the cover letter or CV anything that relates to the selection criteria.

I'm currently signed up to SEEK and have spent some time looking at their tips on 'killer CVs' and cover letters, some of which I'll certainly take up. I receive daily email alerts for possible jobs but to be honest, none fill me with passion or excitement. I haven't made face-to-face contact with any recruitment agency - is this wrong? I'm beginning to think it's time to arrange an appointment with a couple of recruitment agencies.

At present I feel like I'm in a weird place where I don't quite know what I would like to be doing but recognise that I need to find paid work. It's like I'm waiting for that 'dream job' to fall into my lap. Ha, as if ...

It's interesting to note that when I applied to Brisbane Seniors Online for a volunteer position, I got an instant response and am heading off to meet the people next week. So this gives me heart that my skills and experience are valuable!

In the meantime, I'll keep looking for that dream job!

Your thoughts and/or advice will be gratefully received.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think ...