06 May 2011

Back in the day ...

I didn't go to university.

I went to the Hobart Technical College to study the Commerce Certificate (Secretarial).  At High School, I chose typing, shorthand and commerce instead of languages, art or music.  When I reflect on this choice I can only surmise that I had made up my mind to be a secretary when I was 11 and I cannot for the life of me recall why, when or how!

After one year at Hobart Tech I achieved the Commerce Certificate (Secretarial).  I was ready to work!





During this year I achieved a typing speed of 55 wpm on a manual typewriter.  This is one skill I'm very pleased to have learned back then as it has been so useful when computers became ubiquitous.  Touch typing provides me with delight, especially when I can talk to someone while continuing to type!












and a shorthand speed of 90wpm (I haven't kept this skill up, sadly)









I recently bought an old portable manual typewriter (on a whim), it's gorgeous.  Bright yellow and in very good nick.


I had forgotten the sound of typing, the clack, clack of the keys and the little ding when the end of a line is reached.  Oh the memories.  The only advantage to using a typewriter is that the document is printed as you type.  Making a mistake is difficult to fix and finding a ribbon could be tricky.
Back in the day, good for reminiscing but technology has moved on ....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think ...